Thursday 28 January 2016

Once I Knew A Thing Called Happiness

Once I knew a thing called happiness
For an hour and a few days
It fluttered green-winged, a moth trapped
In the glowing flame of my burning heart.

Once I knew a thing called happiness.
Born, nurtured, kept alive day by day
With nectar-drops of words and smiles
And the touch of a hand on my cheek
The feel of a living arm around me
Living, loving, all there.

And the arm went away.
The nectar dried, the moth starved
Dry-winged beating still in the walls of my
Prisoned heart.

Now I know the bitter nectar of pain
Squeezed drop by drop out of my blood
And then held like hemlock in a cup
To my lips to drink again.
That is pain that I sip every day
The thing in the shadows with the empty sockets and grinning teeth
That whispers and promises
It will not go away.

I walked the streets of an unknown city
With sunglasses over my tear-red eyes
And Google Maps in my hand.
I gave a bottle to a ragpicker
And thought I saw her smile.
A dog jumped on me and licked me a while
And it was not enough.
It was not enough.

Once I knew a thing called happiness
And it went away.

I do not think
I want to live on like this.



3 comments:

  1. Deep grief. A poem of sorrow and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me how I felt after Sherie died in January of 1999. Totally at a loss and I could see nearly zero reason to keep going. Well, I still had three cats to care for, they kept me going. I was responsible for them after all.
    When we lose those we love deeply, we feel the loss intensely. I still miss her and our daughter both. Memories are like starlight Bill, they go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written... I loved reading it from the first to the last word. Hope it's fiction, only!

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.