Wednesday 11 March 2015

For the Revolution

I believe we are actually at a turning point of history; one in which we can either choose to die on our feet or crawl on our knees. And – from Novorossiya to Iraq the forests of  Colombia and India and the Philippines – there are men and women who have made the decision to fight back against oppression on their feet, and die if necessary, however hopeless the struggle seems, than to crawl as slaves.

This is the first of a planned series of paintings on the anonymous resistance fighter against imperialism. Today I’m depicting the Maoist woman guerrilla fighter, from India to Syria/Iraq to Colombia to the Philippines, who has given her blood for a cause she believes in.

This, by the way, is my first painting on wood. I think it’s the best material so far.






Title: For the Revolution 
Material: Acrylic on Wood

Copyright B Purkayastha 2015

1 comment:

  1. Just yesterday I had a conversation with my daughter about what is happening around the world. I told her I think we are living in very dangerous times. I told her I believe revolution happens when the rich and powerful become too rich and powerful and the poor and dispossessed become too poor and dispossessed and the difference between the two becomes too great. I don’t believe it’s a gradual process although the build up is gradual. I believe it happens in an instant, a sudden snap and every thing changes. We already have a world where inequality is greater than at any previous time, where no one trusts anyone any more. No one knows what to believe because every one knows all media is under the control of the ruling classes and the multinationals and it’s only there to feed us lies. I’m very afraid of the world my daughters and grandchildren are inheriting, no one is safe, no where is safe, and no one can be trusted. I don’t know if that is the same as your ‘die on our feet or crawl on our knees.’ Scenario but I’m guessing it’s a similar concept. Which I guess is just a long way of saying, yes I agree.
    ps............like the painting, very expressive.

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.