Tuesday 10 February 2015

Stone

I wish I were a stone
Sometimes.

Unfeeling, inert
Uncaring if the stream 
Of time wore me away
River-bottom-smooth,
Or broke me
Jagged-sharp.

I wish I could learn not to feel
Instead of feeling too much
Caring too much.

A stone does not care
If it's beautiful or ugly.
A stone does not cry
A stone does not grieve
For pasts that were
Presents that are
Or futures that will not be.

Life’s too much a burden
For someone who is not a stone
To bear.

Copyright B Purkayastha 2015




2 comments:

  1. Bill,
    I have felt that way, still do often. Oh yes, to be a stone, no feelings, no thoughts at the folly of stupid humans. I like stones and rocks. They have the common sense to stay where they are until somebody or some force moves them.
    Being human, having feelings and memories, as one of my favorite songs says towards the end; memories are like starlight. They go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like stones, I really do, but I wouldn't want to be one. I like being able to feel, maybe that's because even thought some feelings were very, very bad, once I stopped feeling them, the memory of them was not bad enough to want to feel nothing. And I like your stories :-)

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.