Saturday 4 June 2016

Personal stuff

Just an update for readers:

I've been overworked and exhausted, but that's not the reason I've not written anything the last few days. That's because

1. My laptop was  in for repair.....again.

2. I have been reevaluating my self-worth. It seems to me that I'm measuring myself by the amount I'm writing and as such I've been forcing myself to keep writing even when I need to do other things for my own good, like read or sleep. Writing has become a kind of substitute for having a life, and simply put it can't go on this way. I cannot keep on obsessively pouring out words  without going insane, so I need to force myself to back away a little. The obsessive writing isn't good for quality either. I deleted my last story after finishing it, without posting.

3. I've drastically reduced my time online. People are making me, quite literally, nauseated. The process of dumbing down seems to be accelerating to landslide levels. I've reduced my Blogspot reading list by half as a consequence.

I'll be back to writing in a day or two. 

6 comments:

  1. I know it's a balancing act.

    I hope you find the sweet spot between life and art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how I feel about you. So I guess that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of yourself Bill.
    As to people dumbing down, that is the main problem in the US of A today in my opinion. What passes as 'leadership' in this country is rotten and it flows downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're one of the most challenging people I know. I hope you stay around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read this autobiographical bit by F. Scott Fitzgerald tonight, and it made me think o your current thoughts (only he was reaching the opposite decision from you):

    "Since I could no longer fulfill the obligationss that life had set for me or that I had set for myself, why not slay the shell who had been postuing at it for four years? I must continue to be a writer because that was my only way of life, but I would cease any attempts to be a person - to be kind, just or generous.

    "I have now at last become a writer only. The man I had persistently tried to be became such a burden that I have cut him loose."

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/depression-treatment-blood-test-antidepressant-drugs-symptoms-patients-a7068466.html

    MichaelWme

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.