Sunday 4 November 2018

Terrorist



They told me
Today you will bend your head
Today you will do what we tell you
You are a chattel, a thing
And we rule.

Today I bent my head
Waiting for tomorrow.

They told me
Today you will pick up a gun
Today you will kill for us
Today you will die for us
For the enemy is at the door.

I did not pick up the gun.
The quarrels of kings
Are nothing to do with me.

The enemy came, they told me to say
How much I loved them, and invite them to stay.
The enemy came, I bowed my head
And told them what they wanted said,

For, I thought, tomorrow you will be gone.

My daughter, six years old today
Went to school, stopped to play
A finger pressed a button
Half a world away,

A silver speck in the sky above
Laid a silver egg
Trailing flame.


And there was no daughter
I have no daughter
Anymore.

Today, I will pick up a gun
Today
Your time has come.


Copyright B Purkayastha 2018


3 comments:

  1. That would turn me into a monster, their worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding poem. The goal of the US MIC is $, and by killing children, we provoke their parents into proving that the MIC needs more $. So all works out as planned.

    MichaelWme

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is how 'Merikkka creates more and more terrorists every hour all around the planet.
    Great poem any way Bill, many thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.