I came across a site about short horror stories. How short? Very short. Two sentences short.
So here are a few of mine.
1. She wakes up in the middle of the night crying your name. You want to hug her, but she looks at you and starts screaming.
2. The vintage car is amazingly well preserved. It's the owners who keep dying.
3. I decided to commit suicide, so I threw myself off a building. Halfway down I realised something was falling alongside me, grinning.
4. She got pregnant, and wished she hadn't. A coffin is no place to give birth to a baby.
5. I decided to sell my soul to the devil. He offered to sell me his instead.
6. Fear is tasty. Ask the shadow watching you read this.
7. He had tried to kill the man, the one he saw every morning, for years, and always failed. So he threw the mirror away.
8. I couldn't open my eyes and was afraid I'd died. Then I opened them and was afraid I hadn't.
9. My mother told me to finish everything on my plate. But I don't like the taste of brains.
10. I kissed you and told you I loved you. You smiled and told me I'm dreaming.
11. I heard thunder on the horizon. Now I'm beginning to think it wasn't thunder, and the streets are full of people fleeing.
12. You gave him your heart. Fortunately, transplant surgeons were standing by.
13. Mushrooms grow quickly, I’ve always heard. I didn’t know they grew as quickly as the one rising over the horizon.
14. I woke up this morning knowing that the most momentous event in my life would happen today, and I was right. In an hour they will take me out and shoot me.
15. There was a crowd in the street, gathered round a body. She went to see whose it was, and couldn’t think why it looked so familiar, as though she’d seen it in the mirror every day.
16. He ignores the rapping on the wall, as if something is walled in and trying to get out. You have to tap much harder.
17. Schrodinger’s Cat died. And it didn’t.
18. Down in the sunken submarine on the ocean floor, there are two of you, one pistol with one bullet, and a pack of cards. The winner gets to live for one day longer.
19. The drone pilot fired a missile. Just before being incinerated, the target turned to look up at the camera – and smiled.
20. The last thought she had as she fell asleep was that the ceiling looked a funny colour. And then she realised that the light wasn’t on.
21. The monster came into the room. Everyone stood up and saluted him respectfully.
You’re welcome to add your efforts to the response column!
Copyright B Purkayastha 2014